Published on July 5th, 2015 | by Kelsey Sutor0
Bernard Tomic unleashes a tirade on Tennis Australia
Another day, another Aussie making headlines. Bernard Tomic, Australia’s highest ranked men’s player, slammed Tennis Australia (TA) following his loss to Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon on Friday.
He used his post-match press conference as an opportunity to unleash on TA CEO Craig Tiley, TA President Stephen Healy, and Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter.
“Very disappointed in Craig Tiley in Tennis Australia… He’s the main reason in the last few years it’s been up and down for me and there’s been no lack of support towards me, there’s been no respect, I think, towards me,” Tomic said after his third round loss.
However the most scathing comments where reserved for Rafter, who is a former two-time US Open champion and is considered a legend of Australian tennis.
‘He doesn’t know what he’s doing. They are giving him a budget but he doesn’t know what he’s doing. What’s his job? Deal with it, Pat. You’re the mask. He’s a mask for these guys, Craig and Steve.
Tomic accused Tennis Australia of being disrespectful towards his family, not providing him with enough financial support, and highlighted an incident in which he had to pay for court and ball hire before the Australian Open this year.
“You know, I didn’t get one phone call from Tennis Australia, can we help you, Bernard? Can we do this? Do you need something?”
The Aussie was wiped off the court by the World Number 1 Djokovic, who took the match in straight sets 6-3 6-3 6-3.
Tomic simply couldn’t keep up with the Serb’s pace and variety of shots, the majority of the match resembling a warm up game for Djokovic.
Tennis Australia responded on Twitter on Saturday, saying Tomic’s comments were “misinformed, untrue and disappointing.”
TA remains committed to implementing the best culture possible, with a philosophy of opportunity, not entitlement
— TennisAustralia (@TennisAustralia) July 4, 2015
On Sunday morning, Tennis Australia announced that Tomic had been dumped from the Davis Cup team.
“Playing for our country is an absolute privilege, and with that privilege comes an obligation to behave appropriately. He didn’t,” said Healy.
Tomic’s comments have been met with backlash from the Australian tennis community.
Channel Seven commentator and former player Todd Woodbridge said that the press conference was not “the right platform” and his attack was “a little immature.”
Tomic’s former coach Neil Guiney said the World Number 24 was “greedy” and “spoilt” and that his funding from TA should have been cut off years ago.
Of course, with sponsorship, tournament winnings and endorsements, Tomic is far from struggling financially.
This is not the first time Tomic has been involved in off-court drama.
He has had a string of driving offenses, allegedly told fellow Aussie player and former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt that he “wasn’t good enough” to practice with him, was a toolie during Schoolie’s celebrations on the Gold Coast, and even has a “controversies” section on his Wikipedia page.
His father John was banned from attending ATP matches after headbutting Tomic’s former hitting partner Thomas Drouet.
Meanwhile fellow Australian, Nick Kyrgios, has also been slammed in the media for swearing and for outbursts towards officials during his opening matches at Wimbledon.